'Attack the Block' to Screen at Los Angeles Film Festival
Attack the Block is a movie that has a strong and vocal following in the geek community, even though the movie, picked up in April by Screen Gems, has no release date as of yet.
Here’s why: It’s the directorial debut of Joe Cornish, who co-wrote with pal Edgar Wright the upcoming Tintin movie. It’s exec produced by Wright and has some of his sensibilities. It’s good and a lot of fun.
The movie won the audience award at SXSW earlier this year and there’s a debate amongst those who have seen it whether it does a better job of being a love letter to Steven Spielberg and his Amblin films than Super 8, J.J. Abrams’ love letter to Spielberg and his Amblin films, even as the latter is produced by Spielberg and Amblin!
(The movie, authentically set in London, centers on a group of inner-city kids who are forced to defend their turf from an alien invasion.)
Now some will have a chance to see what the buzz is all about as Attack the Block will have a gala screening at the Los Angeles Film Festival June 22.
(The fest runs June 16-26 and will also see premieres of Drive, Ryan Gosling’s violent action movie, and Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, the
horror movie produced by Guillermo del Toro.)
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR