What Is Actually Revealed In 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set Photos? (Analysis)
Images from the set of Joss Whedon's Marvel tentpole have revealed the look of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and -- just maybe -- Ultron.
New pictures from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron have given us the first chance to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen in costume as Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, respectively, as well as a glimpse at a proto Ultron himself — or, at least, a stand-in for the final version. But what do these pictures actually reveal about the second Avengers movie? Here are four potential takeaways.
1. Marvel’s Quicksilver looks as goofy as Fox’s.
Let’s be honest for a second: Taylor-Johnson looks kind of silly as Quicksilver. Is it the hair? Why Marvel's and Fox’s designers apparently independently chose a floppy-hair look for a character whose comic book incarnation has always favored the slicked-back look remains a mystery. His outfit, which says “random guy at the gym” more than it does “super-fast mutant super hero,” isn't helping. What is it about this character that makes movie designers give up?
2. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch aren’t with SHIELD.
Admittedly, this may be a stretch, but both Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch look like they’re wearing outfits that more closely resemble civvies than typical Avengers garb. Compare the Scarlet Witch’s outfit with any female SHIELD agent we’ve seen to date, in either the movies or Agents of SHIELD. Director Joss Whedon has teased that the pair won’t start off the movie on good terms with the rest of the Avengers, but perhaps that means that they start off on the opposite side. (After all, doesn’t this look like a standoff waiting to happen? This definitely looks like the kind of small-scale destruction/distraction that the Scarlet Witch could cause, as well.)
3. A team divided?
The only familiar Avenger present in the pictures was Hawkeye, a character sidelined somewhat during the first movie (Asgardian possession will do that for you). The behind-the-scenes footage from the ABC documentary Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe hinted that an Iron Man-Hulk battle would be part of the film. If they’re off fighting each other (Intra-superhero slugfests being Marvel tradition) while Hawkeye babysits the two new heroes, does that suggest Whedon is splitting the team into smaller groups to stop the movie from feeling too overcrowded?
4. Ultron is retro.
On the one hand, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a man wearing what appears to be Ultron-esque armor (or part thereof, at least) appears in this scene, because the film is called Age of Ultron and Ultron has traditionally been a robot that resembles a man (plus, James Spader is providing the voice, which suggests some level of personification for the character). But on the other, we’ve done the Big Bad thing in the first Avengers. Did anyone else expect that in the sequel we might see something other than team of eight superheroes ganging up against one guy, albeit a robot guy made up of seemingly indestructible parts? Of course, that’s assuming that the man in the armor really is Ultron, and not some kind of red herring — or even Paul Bettany’s Vision.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!