'Avengers' Deleted Scene Focuses on Captain America, Features Bonus Stan Lee Cameo
The World War II-era hero learns that his love interest is still alive and gets some advice from the comic book legend.
In The Avengers, Captain America isn’t loving life in the 21st century.
If there are any doubts, just look at how hard he’s hitting that punching bag when we first encounter him, or check out his excitement at actually getting Nick Fury’s (Samuel L. Jackson) The Wizard of Oz reference.
But there was actually more to it than that, as revealed in a new deleted scene released to promote the upcoming Avengers Blu-ray, which hits stores Sept. 25.
In the three-minute clip, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is shown watching World War II footage of himself on a laptop, and mulling over the files of his long-dead military buddies.
Among the scene’s big reveals is that love interest Peggy Carter, played by Hayley Atwell in Captain America: The First Avenger, is still alive and well (and presumably in her nineties) in the U.K. Cap considers calling her, but decides against it. Could this be further explored in the next Captain America solo movie?
The other big moment comes when comics legend Stan Lee gives Steve some advise about a certain waitress, who pops up later in the film. Lee, famous for his Marvel cameos, appeared in the film’s final cut near the end, where he expressed disbelief that superheros could exist in New York.
Editors note: Video of the scene has been removed per a request from Disney, which says the footage that emerged online Wednesday had been pirated.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!