'Avengers' Stars Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson on the Possibility of Hulk, Black Widow Spinoffs (Video)
After stealing scenes from established stars of other superhero franchises, Ruffalo and Johansson tell THR they're eager to take on films focusing only on their characters.
Before Joss Whedon's The Avengers assembled its cast, Marvel Studios introduced each of the superheroes either via guest appearances or individual origin stories. But even though the studio successfully launched franchises with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, the Hulk film series has struggled to find a comfortable cinematic niche – trading stars and styles twice already – while Hawkeye and Black Widow still remain secondary characters within the Marvel universe.
But Mark Ruffalo told The Hollywood Reporter that after suiting up in Hulk’s purple pants for the first time in The Avengers, he'd love to take on a film in which he gets to explore the character further. "I'd love to do it," Ruffalo said. "I think it would be fun.”
Ruffalo and his co-star Scarlett Johansson, who plays Black Widow, spoke to THR Saturday, where the duo admitted that neither of them was quite ready to jump back into costume after surviving the physical demands of The Avengers. When asked how eager the two of them were to start spinoff films, Ruffalo said, "How ready? I'm not ready." Johansson agreed, "I'm going to need a few months to get into that suit for sure."
Johansson, however, countered that she enjoys the group effort she gets to contribute to in The Avengers. "But it's fun when we all do it together," she said. "I think from now on, now that the bar is set with The Avengers, it would be strange if we didn't call on one another in some way." Ruffalo observed, "We've set predecent now. Now there are all of these new friends to help us now."
Johansson quoted co-star Robert Downey Jr., adding, "Like Robert said, 'Why would I do any of this alone?'"
Watch the video above for more in-depth comments from Johansson and Ruffalo about their work on The Avengers. Joss Whedon’s film opens nationwide May 4, 2012.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami
- Cate Blanchett's 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Will Invade Comic-Con
- Kate Beckinsale's Birthday is Tomorrow & She's Looking More Beautiful Than Ever!