'Avengers' Star Mark Ruffalo Talks About the First Time He Saw Himself as The Hulk (Video)
The actor told THR that he wanted to use motion capture to bring his character to life “in a way that we haven’t seen it before."
In The Avengers, Disney and Marvel’s upcoming superhero ensemble film, Mark Ruffalo plays Bruce Banner/The Hulk. While many of the characters are being played by actors that have played the roles before, Ruffalo is taking on the green giant for the very first time.
Ruffalo’s Hulk was created through motion capture, giving the superhero a very humanized look, and a face that looks a whole lot like Ruffalo’s.
The Hollywood Reporter spoke to Ruffalo at the premiere for the film in Hollywood on Wednesday, which he attended with his wife, Sunrise Coigney.
THR asked the actor about the first time he saw himself as The Hulk.
“There was a lot of talk about whether Marvel wanted The Hulk to look like the actor and [director] Joss [Whedon] and I felt very strongly that it should,” he told THR.
He first saw a big sculpture of what he would look like as The Hulk.
“I got a huge, huge smile on my face,” he told THR, but added that “It scared the hell out of me, as well.” He joked that it reminded him of his dad when he “was really mad.”
The film, which opens in theaters on May 4, stars Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Chris Evans (Captain America), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) and Ruffalo as a group of superheroes who must work together to save the world from Thor’s evil brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston).
Ruffalo told THR he was really interested in bringing The Hulk to life “in a way that we haven’t seen it before,” adding that part of the reason he took the role was to be able to humanize the famous superhero character.
However, bringing The Hulk to life through motion capture wasn’t always the most glamorous of work. “Let’s just say that the leotard that you have to wear for the motion capture isn’t the most flattering,” he told THR.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game