Batkid Saves the City, Makes Everyone's Day
San Francisco -- and the Internet -- comes to a halt to watch a 5-year-old live out his Dark Knight dreams for a day.
Gotham City may have a troubled relationship with Batman, but one city has come out strongly in favor of a Dark Knight today, when San Francisco came to a halt in support of "Batkid," a 5-year-old who got to become a superhero for a day thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Batkid -- whose secret identity is Miles, a young boy whose cancer is in remission after a treatment of chemotherapy that ended this summer -- told the foundation that his greatest wish was to be DC Entertainment's Caped Crusader. Patricia Wilson, the executive director of the Bay Area branch of the organization, felt like that was something they could make happen but didn't anticipate just how many people would want to help.
"I thought I could do it on a scale that a 5-year-old would appreciate," Wilson told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Apparently, it's on a scale now that the nation appreciates. I've never seen anything go viral like this, with the outpouring of support from across the world."
Thousands lined the streets (with more watching live online) as Batkid rescued damsels in distress, disarmed bombs and defeated supervillains -- don't worry, the FBI have filed charges against the Riddler and the Penguin after Batkid caught them -- with social media going appropriately, well, batty in response. Check out the tweets about "#batkid" here.
"Batman continues to be a source of inspiration for many and we are honored DC Comics characters can be a part of this very special wish," a DC Entertainment spokesperson told THR. "DC Entertainment commends the city of San Francisco and the Make-A-Wish Foundation for creating such a wonderful experience for Miles, and his alter ego, Batkid."
For her part, Wilson is grateful for the response to Miles' dream come true. "We have done other superhero wishes before at Make-A-Wish, but no city has embraced it like this one," she said. Of course, some from outside the city embraced it as well...
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'
- Nude Chelsea Handler Gets Confronted By Ellen DeGeneres In Funny 'Chelsea Lately' Finale Skit - Watch Now!