Ben Affleck Was 'Reluctant' to Take Batman Role
The actor says Zack Snyder landed him for the "Man of Steel" sequel by convincing him it would be both different from what had come before but also "in keeping with tradition."
Certain Batman fans weren't the only ones unsure about Ben Affleck being cast as the Dark Knight in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel sequel.
Affleck says he wasn't convinced he was the right man to don the tights, telling 411mania.com he was initially "reluctant" to accept.
"I felt I didn't fit the traditional mold, but once Zack showed me the concept, and that it would be both different from the great movies that Chris [Nolan] and Christian [Bale] made but still in keeping with tradition I was excited," Affleck said. "Doing something different and new is always tricky, and part of the thrill and the risk is that initially it confounds expectations. "
Affleck also addressed Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara's description of the upcoming version of Batman being "tired, and kind of weary and seasoned." Tsujihara said the film's Batman will have been fighting crime for years when we first meet him.
"Kevin described it aptly. I don't want to go further because I want to be able to capitalize on what is new about this iteration by having it be a surprise to the audience," Affleck said.
Snyder's untitled Man of Steel follow-up also stars Henry Cavill as Superman and is slated to open July 17, 2015.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!