Benedict Cumberbatch Exits Guillermo del Toro's 'Crimson Peak'
Charlie Hunnam, Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska remain on board to star in Legendary's gothic horror story.
Benedict Cumberbatch has exited Crimson Peak, the Legendary horror movie being directed by Guillermo del Toro.
No reason for his departure was given, although sources say his exit is not due to another project.
Charlie Hunnam, Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska remain on board to star in the four-hander gothic horror story that centers on a woman who discovers that her husband might not be who he appears to be.
Peak is scheduled to shoot in January, and the exit at this early stage gives del Toro plenty of time to find a replacement. The filmmaker has already shown he can roll with the punches when he quickly cast Wasikowska after Emma Stone fell off the movie.
Cumberbatch is entering a busy period where many of his completed films will hit screens. Dreamworks’ The Fifth Estate kicks off the Toronto International Film Festival in September, Fox Searchlight’s 12 Years a Slave opens on Oct. 18, while the all-star August: Osage County opens Dec. 25.
He is also voicing the dragon Smaug in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and is in preproduction on The Imitation Game, in which he will portray gay cryptographer Alan Turing.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!