'Blade Runner' Actor Joins Ryan Reynolds in 'RIPD' (Exclusive)
James Hong will play the character Grandpa Chen - Reynold's avatar - in the supernatural action film, set for a June 2013 release.
James Hong, the veteran Asian-American actor who has appeared in cult classics such as Blade Runner and Big Trouble in Little China and more recently did voicework Kung Fu Panda 2, has joined the cast of Universal’s R.I.P.D., the supernatural action movie starring Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges.
The story centers on a murdered cop (Reynolds) who is recruited to work in the Rest in Peace Department, a police force comprised of ghosts who battle spirits unready to depart this world.
Hong will play “Grandpa Chen,” Reynolds’ avatar, the form humans see when Reynolds’ character goes about his business.
Marisa Miller just joined the cast as Bridges’ avatar.
Also in the cast of the Robert Schwentke-directed pic are Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, and Stephanie Szostak.
Hong, with a career dating back to the mid-1950s, has astoundingly appeared in over 500 movies and television roles and will next be seen in the Jason Statham action movie Safe. He is repped by Stage 9 Talent.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'