12:23pm PT by Graeme McMillan
'Bleeding Cool Magazine' Reveals List of Comics' Most Powerful
Marvel Comics publisher Dan Buckley is the most powerful man in comics -- at least according to Bleeding Cool Magazine's Top 100 Power List for 2013. Wondering who else holds the power? Ahead of the full list's release tomorrow, we've got an exclusive look at the top 10.
The 2013 list is the second produced by Rich Johnston, creator of BleedingCool.com and head writer for the print magazine. "Judging this list is damn hard," he told THR. "Who has power in the comics industry -- some aren't even in comics, like Kevin Feige -- change what comics are published, moreso than some publishers of entire comic book companies."
Johnston said that he arrived at his rankings by "weighing everyone up against everyone else -- artists, retailers, writers, editors, chairman -- and also considering how much influence they would have if they were fired from their job. [Marvel Entertainment CCO and comic book creator] Joe Quesada, still lots probably. [DC Entertainment president] Diane Nelson, less. So it all goes in the pot. The one thing I can guarantee is that no one will actually agree with it. But the conversation that it generates is always interesting -- and informs the next year's list!"
The Top 100 list debuts in Bleeding Cool Magazine #7, released in comic book stores tomorrow. But if you're wondering just whom Johnston considers the ten most powerful people in comics to be, here they are:
- Dan Buckley, publisher/COO of Marvel Comics
- Robert Kirkman, Walking Dead creator and writer, Image Comics partner and founder of Skybound
- Dan Didio, co-publisher of DC Comics
- Joe Quesada, CCO Marvel Entertainment
- Eric Stephenson, publisher of Image Comics
- Kevin Feige, president of production at Marvel Studios
- Axel Alonso, editor in chief of Marvel Comics
- Scott Snyder, writer of Batman, Superman Unchained, American Vampire and The Wake, as well as writer/showrunner for the upcoming Batman: Eternal weekly series
- Jonathan Hickman, writer of Avengers, New Avengers and the upcoming Avengers World; writer and co-creator of The Manhattan Projects and East of West
- David Steinberger, CEO of ComiXology