'Bourne Legacy' Star Rachel Weisz Calls 'Oz' Director Sam Raimi 'Graceful, Sweet and Mischievous' (Video)
Weisz tells THR that Raimi disguises his "impish creativity" in deceptively proper on-set attire. "He is always in a suit – I've never seen him not in a suit," she says.
Rachel Weisz has worked with a variety of filmmakers – some deadly serious (The Constant Gardener’s Fernando Meirelles) and others decidedly more silly (Fred Claus’ David Dobkin). But for her upcoming turn in Oz: The Great and Powerful, Weisz tells The Hollywood Reporter she encountered an unusual combination of consummate professionalism and peculiar creativity with her director, Sam Raimi (the original Spider-Man trilogy).
“He is always in a suit – I’ve never seen him not in a suit,” she explained at the Los Angeles press day for The Bourne Legacy. “He is always incredibly graceful, kind, respectful, tender, sweet, and at the same time he has this bizarre, impish, mischievous, wild imagination.”
In Oz, Weisz plays Evanora, also known as the Wicked Witch of the East. Her character was only seen from the ankles down in the original Wizard of Oz – her ruby slippers are the ones that Dorothy wears throughout the movie after Glenda magically puts them on her. But the character appeared in several of L. Frank Baum’s books about the world of Oz, and screenwriter Mitchell Kapner created the story for The Great and Powerful by combining elements of many of those stories and then inventing something new.
Weisz says it’s appropriate, then, that Raimi possesses so many different qualities as a director as he shepherds the film to the screen.
“He was a complete pleasure to work with,” she says. “He is those two things and many other things – he’s a big old cocktail.”
Watch the video above for more details about Weisz’s collaboration with Raimi. The Bourne Legacy opens nationwide August 10. Oz: The Great and Powerful arrives in theaters March 8, 2013.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel