Box Office Smackdown: Brad Pitt's 'World War Z' to Open Against Johnny Depp's 'Lone Ranger'
The zombie war film will be released on Dec. 21, 2012, one of four wide releases to open on that date.
The zombie war will begin on Dec. 21, 2012 and it could be a blood-letting at the box office.
Paramount has dated World War Z, which it describes as a geo-political thriller, to open four days before Christmas Day. The move puts the Bratt Pitt movie on a collision course with Disney’s The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, as well as Fox’s Tobey Maguire drama Life of Pi. And it’s only a week after the release of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens Dec. 14.
But the Christmas holiday has proven to be the most lucrative time of the year, with the market able to support multiple films.
World War Z, currently in production, is being directed by Marc Forster and adapts Max Brook’s novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. The movie stars Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale and Matthew Fox.
The studio says the “story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself.”
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel