Kristen Stewart Has an Offer to Star in 'Akira,' Will She Accept?
The 'Twilight' actress would take on the role of Ky Reed in Warner Bros.' adaptation of the Japanese anime classic.
Will Kristen Stewart accept the offer to star in Akira?
Stewart’s camp is mulling an offer from Warner Bros. for the in-demand actress to join the cast of the adaptation of classic manga and anime in the role of Ky Reed.
The movie is set in a place called New Manhattan and follows two brothers, one the leader of a motorcyle gang, the other his younger brother, a young man with telekinetic abilities who becomes a dangerous weapon.
Tron: Legacy star Garrett Hedlund is in negotiations to play Kaneda, the gang leader, who teams up with Ky, a woman who is part of an underground movement to expose the government for turning orphans into living weapons. She may also possess some abilities herself.
Despite some reports saying Stewart is in advanced negotiations, sources say only an offer has been made at this stage, though the two sides will certainly engage one another and give dealmaking a go.
If a deal does materialize, this would be the third franchise for the actress, who has always garnered strong notices but became something of an accidental superstar when Twilight turned into a phenomenon (Breaking Dawn: Part 1 opens on Friday.) She is following that with another potential franchise in Snow White and the Huntsman which, in the race with Relativity’s Snow White project Mirror, Mirror, is looking like Lord of the Rings compared to Dungeons & Dragons. If Huntsman fulfills its promise, expect Stewart to appear in sequels.
Akira also is designed as a franchise, although it’s unclear whether it’s going to be two or three films.
Balancing the two tentpole series would certainly be something for her reps to figure out—if she decides she wants to do the movie.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David