'Calvin and Hobbes' Spoof Movie Trailer Skewers Hollywood's Franchise Obsession (Video)
The latest production from the "Gritty Reboots" team features a grown-up Calvin, his menacing tiger Hobbes and a whole lot of studio tropes.
Bill Watterson has never sold the film rights to his beloved Calvin and Hobbes series, and this unauthorized movie trailer -- quite ironically -- illustrates a good reason why he's been so steadfast in his refusal.
The crew at Gritty Reboots, a team of writers and web filmmakers, recently released their updated take on the famed comic, which finds a grownup Calvin now being tormented by his imagination. Hobbes, a figure of that active and adventurous childhood introspection, has gone rogue, seeking to take over Calvin's brain, creating a fight for his very existence.
The trailer is shot and presented in a manner so similar to many recent Hollywood tentpole films, from the Christopher Nolan's mega-successful Batman reboot to the more recent Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Another inspiration is the work of Zach Snyder, whose upcoming Man of Steel, certainly qualifies as a "gritty reboot."
This particular parody was made by Cinesaurus, a video content-creator for the web, and scripted by David Spear.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!