Cameron Diaz to Play Miss Hannigan in 'Annie'
Sandra Bullock was previously in talks to play the role.
Cameron Diaz has closed a deal to play Miss Hannigan in Annie, the update of the classic comic strip-turned-musical, Sony confirmed late Wednesday. The studio is making the project with producers Will Smith and Jay-Z.
Diaz will join Quvenzhane Wallis, who is on board to play the title character, and Jamie Foxx, who will play a modern incarnation of Daddy Warbucks, a billionaire named Benjamin Stacks.
Miss Hannigan is the mean lady who runs the orphanage where Annie lives with her friends.
Sandra Bullock twice tap-danced around the role but no deal was ever made.
Carol Burnett memorably played the role in the 1982 movie.
Will Gluck is directing the project, which has a host of producers: Smith and his Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Jada Pinkett-Smith are joined by Jay-Z, Jay Brown and Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith through Marcy Media.
Diaz is currently filming the Fox romantic comedy The Other Woman.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)