Charlie Hunnam Lands Lead Role in Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim'
The "Sons of Anarchy" star is in negotiations to star in Legendary's monster movie.
Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim has found its leading man.
Charlie Hunnam, the British actor who is one of the stars of FX’s Sons of Anarchy, is in negotiations to be the human lead in Legendary Pictures’ monster movie.
Pacific Rim, as the project is known, is the movie del Toro decided to focus on when his long-gestating adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness fell apart over budgetary issues and rating.
Rim is a monster movie that sees powerful extraterrestrial aliens threaten the Earth's existence, attacking cities and nations neighboring the Pacific Ocean. To meet the threat head-on, humanity develops giant robots to fight them off.
The movie is influenced by mecha, the Japanese genre involving humans piloting robotic constructs.
The details of the role is being kept secret although online details describe the character as a pilot of one of the mechas that needs to climb back into the driver’s chair.
Hunnam is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010