Charlie Sheen Cast As U.S. President in 'Machete' Sequel
Director Robert Rodriguez made the announcement Thursday via Twitter.
Charlie Sheen is in negotiations to play the U.S. president in Machete Kills, director Robert Rodriguez’s sequel to his Grindhouse action movie Machete.
Rodriguez made the announcement Thursday on Twitter, where he wrote, “I just cast Charlie Sheen in
#machetekills as the President of the United States! Who better? More soon…” Sheen retweeted that message, and a representative for the actor confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that negotiations are taking place.
Rodriguez is currently in production on the sequel, which once again stars Danny Trejo as Machete and includes Jessica Alba, Mel Gibson, Amber Heard, Sofia Vergara and Zoe Saldana.
Sheen's father, Martin Sheen, famously played the President in NBC's The West Wing.
The new story sees Machete being called upon by the U.S. government to stop a cartel leader and an arms dealer who have a weapon in space.
The broadly-written part initially called for the president to be African-American and have a basketball court on the White House lawn but has since been rewritten.
Sheen, repped by manager Mark Burg and attorney Jake Bloom, next stars in FX's comedy series Anger Management, which bows June 28.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'