Charlie Sheen Cast As U.S. President in 'Machete' Sequel
Director Robert Rodriguez made the announcement Thursday via Twitter.
Charlie Sheen is in negotiations to play the U.S. president in Machete Kills, director Robert Rodriguez’s sequel to his Grindhouse action movie Machete.
Rodriguez made the announcement Thursday on Twitter, where he wrote, “I just cast Charlie Sheen in
#machetekills as the President of the United States! Who better? More soon…” Sheen retweeted that message, and a representative for the actor confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that negotiations are taking place.
Rodriguez is currently in production on the sequel, which once again stars Danny Trejo as Machete and includes Jessica Alba, Mel Gibson, Amber Heard, Sofia Vergara and Zoe Saldana.
Sheen's father, Martin Sheen, famously played the President in NBC's The West Wing.
The new story sees Machete being called upon by the U.S. government to stop a cartel leader and an arms dealer who have a weapon in space.
The broadly-written part initially called for the president to be African-American and have a basketball court on the White House lawn but has since been rewritten.
Sheen, repped by manager Mark Burg and attorney Jake Bloom, next stars in FX's comedy series Anger Management, which bows June 28.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Movie Review: A Walk Among the Tombstones
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!