Charlie Sheen: I Tried to Play Spider-Man
Long before he boasted of having tiger blood, a young Sheen wanted to have spider DNA.
This past summer, Andrew Garfield became the second star actor in the past five years to play Spider-Man on the big screen, taking over the webslinger role from Tobey Maguire. If you think that was a big transition, just imagine a spider-legacy that includes Charlie Sheen.
It almost happened.
"I had an office at Orion at the time, and I brought them Spider-Man," Sheen told Jay Mohr on the new episode of his podcast, Mohr Stories. "I said, 'Look, in a couple of years, I'll be too old to play Peter Parker.' And they said, 'Yeah, we're just thinking that cartoons are not the future, comic books are not the future.' And I said, 'But it's Spider-Man, I'm perfect.' And they were like, 'Nah, we're gonna wait.'"
As for whether he had the rights to the character, Sheen said that wasn't a concern.
"I had a guy in my pocket who was going to get them for me," he assured Mohr. And regarding the lack of foresight by Orion -- which would slip into bankruptcy a few years later -- Sheen said, "They didn't know shit."
Outside of the Christopher Reeve's Superman series, the '70s and '80s were quite light on comic book fare, with the 1989 Tim Burton Batman film ultimately responsible for kicking off the first real wave of comic films. There was a short-lived Spider-Man TV series, which ran for 13 episodes between 1977-79. Nicholas Hammond played Peter Parker.
Of course, years after Sheen pitched himself as Parker, his father, Martin Sheen, played the character's Uncle Ben in the 2012 reboot.
Fall TV Preview
Follow Heat Vision
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014