Chloe Grace Moretz: 'It Would Be Great' to See a Strong Female Superhero
"Kick-Ass" actress wants to see female superheroes who offer more than "wear the spandex and push your boobs up."
As Hit-Girl, Chloe Grace Moretz proved to be the high point of both Kick-Ass movies to date, and now she's hoping to see some fellow female superheroes in movies that don't rely on their sex appeal for effectiveness. Yes, Avengers' Black Widow, she's talking about you.
"It would be great to have [a strong female superhero] in the Marvel system," Moretz told Total Film magazine at the Sundance Film Festival. "It would be great to have more than even [Scarlett Johansson] because Black Widow was still ‘wear the spandex and push your boobs up, this is a man’s world.'"
"A lot of the female characters are written that way in the comics, of being submissive, very sexually driven," she continued, calling such characters "the Kryptonite" of the male heroes. There is hope for female cinematic superheros, however. "I think what it'll be is Wonder Woman," Moretz said. "I think Wonder Woman was one of those characters that really was a strong female character. The closest we've gotten to that is Catwoman with Michelle Pfeiffer."
Moretz is, in many ways, just adding a celebrity voice to something that many superhero fans have been saying about the current spate of superhero movies for some time. We know that Wonder Woman will show up in the Man of Steel sequel -- no pressure, Gal Gadot -- but with Marvel expected to announce new movie projects for 2016 and 2017 this year, the pressure is on for them to spotlight a super-powered woman who's more than a sidekick.
Surely, this has to be the year of a Captain Marvel movie announcement …?
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'