Comic Adaptation 'Beasts of Burden' Taps 'Jack the Giant Killer' Writer (Exclusive)
Jack the Giant Killer writer Darren Lemke has been tapped to pen Beasts of Burden, Reel FX and Andrew Adamson’s adaptation of the Dark Horse comic.
Eisner-winning Burden, created by Evan Dorkin (Milk & Cheese) and Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother) is set in a community called Burden Hill where a series of supernatural events occur, causing a gang of dogs (and one cat) to team up in order to keep their owners and the town’s residents safe.
Adamson is producing what is intended to be a CG-animated feature adaptation with his Strange Weather Films partner Aron Warner, along with Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment. Dark Horse’s Keith Goldberg is executive producing.
Producer Reel FX is the company run by former Industrial Light and Magic senior executive Ed Jones and former Walden Media CEO Cary Granat. It specializes in CG as well as live-action hybrid projects.
The Burden project is serving as a reunion of two sets of former collaborators. Lemke, repped by UTA and Loeb and Loeb, worked with Adamson and Warner on Shrek Forever After, which Lemke co-wrote. On the Dark Horse front, Lemke is once again teaming up with Goldberg, who while an exec at New Line helped buy Lemke’s spec Jack the Giant Killer. The movie is now in production with Bryan Singer directing.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!