Comic Book Legal Defense Fund Releases 'Banned Books Handbook'
The free release aims to educate librarians, teachers and others about the subject of censorship as it relates to comics and graphic novels ahead of this year's Banned Books Week.
In advance of this year’s Banned Books Week, which will focus on comics and graphic novels, the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund announced its first-ever Banned Books Week Handbook, a guide to comic book censorship and how to combat it, at the ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas on Friday.
Described by the organization as "a free resource that gives you the scoop about what comics are banned, how to report and fight censorship, and how to make a celebration of Banned Books Week in your community," the handbook — available as a free download from the CBLDF site as well as a print edition released through Diamond Distribution — is targeted at librarians, educators, retailers and anyone interested in creating a Banned Books Week event.
The handbook is being supported by the release of discussion guides to specific texts (including Alison Bechdel's Fun Home, Craig Thompson's Blankets and Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons) intended to facilitate enlightenment and conversation about misconceptions regarding comics, their subject matter and intended audience.
This year's Banned Books Week, sponsored by the American Library Association, Association of American Publishers, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and other organizations, runs from September 21 through 27.
Follow Heat Vision
- The Letterman Years: Stories From Behind the Scenes of the Show That Changed Comedy Forever
- Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer: At the Very End of the World, Everything Looks Insane
- The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah Is Already in Trouble on Twitter [Updated]
- Ludacris on Ludaversal, Paul Walker, and Reinventing Himself
- Vin Diesel Debuts New 'Furious 7' Clip Starring Paul Walker on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' - Watch Here!
- Uzo Aduba & Lily Rabe Help Honor Sarah Paulson at MCC Theater Miscast Gala 2015!
- Scott Eastwood on Dad Clint: 'He Doesn't Give Handouts'
- Gigi Hadid: It's Not Okay to Model Until You're 25 & Then Become a Housewife