Comic-Con 2012: 'Man of Steel' Footage So Good It Makes Fans Cry
“We had to act as if no film has been made. When we approached it, we had to say this a Superman for the first time," director Zack Snyder said during Saturday's Warner Bros. presentation.
You will believe a man can cry.
How well received was the footage of Man of Steel? One fan was literally brought to tears after seeing it, reduced to a blubbering mess as he said how much he loved it.
The footage premiered Saturday in Hall H at the Warner Bros. presentation, with director Zack Snyder and star Henry Cavill in attendance.
“Any doubt I had was gone with that trailer,” said another fan after seeing the footage, which screened twice and delved into what Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan are trying to do by re-launching Superman.
When answering a question about whether or not the movie was going to use John Williams’ iconic score, Snyder summed up the approach to the movie:
“We had to act as if no film has been made. When we approached it, we had to say 'this is Superman for the first time,'" Snyder said. "And you can’t say, ‘Oh, now let’s steal a little music.’ So yes, it’s awesome music but Hans (Zimmer) is going to do something awesome.”
Snyder tried desperately not to admit that the villain in the movie is General Zod, saying that while the filmmakers “have great respect for the canon and the mythology of Superman...it’s a mashing of stories.”
Snyder added: “It’s about making him work and making him cool."
Cavill echoed the theme of having a clean slate:
“I just wanted to bring as much of the modern Superman into the world. You guys know everything about him. You’re there through thick and thin. This is for everyone else out there.To bring him to the modern world that everyone can associate with.”
Snyder found himself facing the prickly question of whether or not (and how) Warners and DC would have his Superman film lead into a Justice League movie.
He hedged, answering politically “Let’s say this: We know that Superman is the jewel in the DC crown. We wanted to get this house in order. And then…who knows what’s possible?”
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!