Comic-Con: Zombie Walk Canceled Following Car Accident Last Year

A man awaiting trial for injuring a woman with his car says zombie walkers scared him when they pounced on his vehicle.
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

Zombies will not be descending on the streets of San Diego this weekend.

The annual Comic-Con Zombie Walk has been canceled, organizers posted on the Zombie Walk: San Diego Facebook page

"The event is on indefinite hiatus due to legal matters stemming from the vehicular incident following last year's walk," reads the post. "The walk may return next year, but speculation is not invited at this time."

At last year's walk, Matthew Pocci Jr. allegedly injured a 64-year-old woman with his car when he was driving with his girlfriend, his girlfriend's sister, and the sister's 9-year-old daughter. They happened upon the walk, which took place near the San Diego Convention Center. Pocci, who is deaf, told police he became frightened when zombie walkers pounded on his car, so he accelerated at an intersection, striking the 64-year-old woman, who was snapping photos of the walkers.

Pocci is awaiting an Oct. 13 trial on a charge of felony reckless driving causing bodily injury, the Los Angeles Times reports. He has filed a suit against the city, arguing the San Diego Police Department did not do enough to supervise the walk and prevent accidents.

Whether zombie walkers disturbed Pocci's car is a key issue at his upcoming trial. The organizers have denied Zombie Walk participants were harassing the vehicle's occupants.

"As multiple witnesses have alleged and videos show, no 'zombies' were near/touching the car during the incident, so I'm confident justice will be served," the Facebook post reads. 

Zombie Walk organizers suggest as an alternative, fans meet up at a horror cosplay event at Children's Park at 5:00 p.m. Saturday. 

comments powered by Disqus