Comic-Con: Marvel Unveils Corey Stoll's 'Ant-Man' Villain
UPDATED: The studio revealed more of its cinematic universe during the Saturday Hall H panel.
Ant-Man got its big reveal to the world in a rock and roll Marvel panel on Saturday.
Corey Stoll's villain for the film was unveiled — it's Darren Cross, Yellowjacket. Meanwhile, Evangeline Lilly was officially confirmed as a lead in the film. (In January, the Lost actress had been in talks to join the film.)
"Corey brings depth to every role he plays," said Marvel president Kevin Feige in a statement on the company's website. “As a major part of the Ant-Man ensemble, we all wanted an actor who could be both cunning and sympathetic, and help create a character as dynamic as Marvel's best antagonists."
Ant-Man was to have been directed by Edgar Wright but the filmmaker and Marvel couldn't come to terms over certain creative issues (this despite both sides working on the project since 2006). The movie, in preproduction with Peyton Reed now in the director's chair, last week also lost actor Patrick Wilson as a member of its supporting cast.
In a move meant to win over fans feeling suspect over Wright's departure and to prove that Reed is a true believer in the Marvel mold, it was shown at the panel that Reed was an Ant-Man fan since he was a youngster. Feige said Reed was in a punk band named Johnny Quest and in the '80s drew an album cover that was an homage to the cover of Avengers #1 with him as Ant-Man but flying on the drums.
Despite having not started production, Feige also unveiled a short action-packed teaser with Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd voicing over an action sequence. "Superheroes, what a goddamn joke," sneers Douglas' character, Dr. Hank Pym.
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- Soon You’ll Have to Ask Taylor Swift Permission to Say ‘This Sick Beat’
- What Should I Watch Until You’re the Worst Comes Back? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs Movie Begins Filming With Cast Full of People Who Haven’t Dropped Out Yet
- Chiwetel Ejiofor and Margot Robbie Discuss the Postapocalyptic Z for Zachariah
- Jennifer Lawrence Goes Makeup Free & Natural For Doctor's Appointment
- Bruce Jenner Will Document His 'Journey' on New Docu-Series (Report)
- Amal Clooney Was Asked Fashion Questions While Representing Armenia in Genocide Trial
- Dominos 'Fifty Shades of Grey'-Esque Ad In the Spotlight For It's S&M Content