Comic-Con: See Nathan Fillion as 'Star Trek's' Captain Kirk (Video)
The "Castle" star poses as William Shatner's most well-known persona for THR's Comic-Con preview issue: "I've been fortunate enough to have met [him]. That's a big deal to me."
This story first appeared in the Aug. 1 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
In a world where TV shows get canceled quickly and forgotten just as fast, Joss Whedon's sci-fi Western Firefly -- which gave Fillion his first starring role -- remains the anomaly, as it's more popular 10 years after its demise than it ever was during its only season. Now, at 43, Fillion is cresting into the seventh year of ABC's Castle, which has created a rabid following to sit alongside Firefly's still-growing legion of fans.
What's your relationship with the Firefly fans, the "Browncoats"?
They have always been there, since the show started. There's just so many more of them now. They don't go away. You meet children who are named for characters on the show. Now I know Firefly will never die.
Is there anyone you still geek out over?
I've been fortunate enough to have met William Shatner. That's a big deal to me. Hearing his voice -- I know the man is a stranger to me, but it triggered something inside of me. A familiarity. I feel comfortable when I hear his voice. It's such a bizarre experience to be actually in his presence.
What's your favorite part of each convention?
I love being in front of a big group of people who are already super-excited; their adrenaline's flowing. There's a really positive wavelength of energy. And then they laugh at my crappiest jokes. For me, that's Comic-Con.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!