Comic-Con to Stay in San Diego Through 2018

The announcement was made by the city's mayor Thursday morning.
AP Images
The 'Game of Thrones' cast at Comic-Con last year

Comic-Con will officially be sticking around in San Diego — for the next three years, at least.

Confirming longstanding rumors, San Diego officials announced a two-year extension to the existing deal between the city and Comic-Con International Thursday morning, ensuring that the annual pop culture show will remain in the city through 2018. Present during the announcement were San Diego Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer, Councilmember Todd Gloria and Comic-Con International spokesperson David Glanzer.

Explaining how important the event was to the city, Faulconer put it in simple terms. "More Superman means more super-streets, more light sabers means more library hours, and more Comic-Con means more neighborhood services for San Diegans," he said. (Gloria said that the event meant $2.8 million in terms of tax revenue for the city.) Glanzer admitted that negotiations had been "touch and go for a while," with hotels and a lack of space being a sticking point.

Comic-Con has been a San Diego destination since its inception in 1970, bringing more than 130,000 attendees each summer, although in recent years, there have been constant rumors that the event could move to nearby Los Angeles or Anaheim as it has continued to grow. In recent years, the five-day show has expanded beyond the city's Convention Center to include panels and other events at nearby hotels and Petco Park.

This year's San Diego Comic-Con begins July 8, and runs through July 12.

comments powered by Disqus