ComiXology Hacked, Advises Users, Retail Partners to Change Passwords
The leading digital comics distributor in North America sends emails to customers and partners advising them to change passwords after discovering "an unauthorized individual" accessed the password database.
ComiXology, the leading digital comics distributor and publisher in North America, today sent out emails to customers and retail partners advising them to update passwords, following a security breach.
The email to customers explained that "an unauthorized individual" had "accessed a database of ours that contained usernames, email addresses and cryptographically protected passwords," quickly pointing out that payment account information is not stored on the company's servers.
"Even though we store our passwords in protected form, as a precautionary measure we are requiring all users to change their passwords on the ComiXology platform and recommend that you promptly change your password on any other website where you use the same or a similar password," the email continued.
Retailers who use ComiXology to provide a digital storefront for their business received a similar email that also suggested that they change STMP passwords, adding that the company "will need your SMTP credentials again if [retailers] wish to continue emailing [their] users through our service."
The security breach was discovered "in the course of a recent review," according to the messages. The company went on to say that it has "taken additional steps" to increase its security, adding that "we will continue to implement improvements on an ongoing basis." When contacted by THR, a spokesman for ComiXology declined to comment beyond what was contained in the original emails.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet