'Cowboys & Aliens'' Daniel Craig: 5 Things to Know
Acting since age 6, he’s the only Bond actor born after the franchise started – and more.
Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford co-star in Cowboys & Aliens, in theaters Friday. Here are a few things you may now know about the actor.
1. He premiered as James Bond in Casino Royale in 2006. He was the first James Bond actor to to be born after the Bond franchise began in 1953. (He was born in 1968.) His casting was met with support by four out of the five previous Bonds: Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, Sean Connery and Roger Moore.
2. While filming Quantum of Solace in 2008, he sliced off the top of one of his fingers. Some said that shoot was cursed. A fire broke out on one of the Pinewood Studios sets. A stunt driver was seriously injured performing driving scenes. An Aston Martin en route to the set in heavy rains slipped off the road and plunged into Lake Garda.
3. He was born in Cheshire, England, and began acting in school plays when he was six years old. He moved to London at 16 to join the National Youth Theatre. He graduated from Guildhall School of Music and Drama at the Barbican. He also played rugby in school.
4. He married actress Rachel Weisz in December 2010 in a quiet New York City ceremony only attended by four guests, including his 18-year-old daughter from ex wife Fiona Loudon, a Scottish actress, and Weisz's 4-year-old son with director Darren Aronofsky.
5. He has a number of big movies lined up, including starring as journalist Mikael Blomkvist in the much anticipated David Fincher adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. He'll also star in The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn and Bond 23.