'Creature From the Black Lagoon' Nabs a Writer (Exclusive)
Horror scribe Dave Kajganich wrote "The Invasion" and is working on remakes of Stephen King's "Pet Sematary," "It" and "The Stand."
Dave Kajganich, who wrote the Daniel Craig-Nicole Kidman thriller The Invasion several years ago, has been tapped to pen Universal’s remake of Creature From the Black Lagoon
Eric Newman and Marc Abraham of Strike Entertainment are producing as well as Gary Ross and Allison Thomas via their Larger Than Life Productions. (Ross’s father was one of the writers on the original.)
Despite earlier reports, Carl Rinsch is not attached to direct.
The 1954 movie centered on a prehistoric water-breathing humanoid monster that lived in a remote Amazonian river and a group of scientists that want to study him.
The studio has been trying to remake the title since the early 1980s and Kajganich is starting from scratch.
The scribe is known for his horror scripts. Invasion was a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and while the movie production was troubled, it paved the way for him to work on the remake of Pet Sematary. Recently he worked on high-profile adaptation of Stephen King’s It and The Stand, which are in development at Warners.
He is repped by UTA, Madhouse Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.
Universal’s vp of production Anikah McLaren and creative exec Sara Scott are overseeing the project for the studio. Kristel Laiblin will exec produce for Strike.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public