Daily Bugle Hints at Alistair Smythe's 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Role
Now that the secret of B.J. Novak's character in this summer's movie has been revealed, viral marketing starts to tease what he might be up to in the Spider sequel.
Last week, it was revealed that B.J. Novak would appear in this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as Alistair Smythe -- a character known in comic book continuity for his connection to a series of robots known as "the Spider-Slayers". With that secret out the bag, now the movie's viral marketing has started to tease Smythe's role in the upcoming movie.
The Daily Bugle Tumblr has posted an update about a police investigation into "illegal activities and questionable medical practices at Manhattan’s Oscorp Industries" that has apparently resulted in the dismissal of Dr. Spencer Smythe -- Alistaire's father, and in the comic books, the man who created the original Spider-Slayers.
"When asked to comment on the current employment situation of Dr. Smythe, Oscorp spokesman Donald Menken had no comment," the report reads, adding that the company later "sent out a press release congratulating Alistair Smythe on his promotion to the Director of Robotics formerly held by his father."
Does this mean that we should expect at least a sneak peek at some robotic Slayer-type problems for Peter Parker in this summer's movie? Perhaps -- or maybe Smythe's technical prowess will be used in a different direction. After all, the short glimpses we've seen of the movie version of the Rhino certainly suggest potential for robotic intervention, don't they … ?
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet