'Dark Knight Rises' Deleted Scene Teases Bane Origin
Tom Hardy’s villain was taunted as a youth, according to costume designer Lindy Hemming.
Was Bane intended to have a more sympathetic side?
According to The Dark Knight Rises costume designer Lindy Hemming, Christopher Nolan shot a scene that showed more of Tom Hardy’s villain being injured as a youth—the aftermath of which might have made audiences feel more sorry for him.
Hemming, who has yet to see the film, told GQ this injury not only led to Bane's wearing of his iconic mask, but also to his needing a waist belt and braces.
“If you look at the film, unless they've cut it—and I'm sure they haven't—there's a whole early section for Tom Hardy where he's fighting and being taunted by people,” Hemming said. “He's got chains on him, and he's standing on a wooden thing while people are attacking him. And in that scene, he's wearing a much more ragged, primitive version of the mask.”
After the reporter informed Hemming the scene was not in the finished product, the costume designer added:
“Well that's an awful shame, but I suppose you have to cut things, I won't elaborate on it too much, because it isn't in the film, but there was another section that showed you why he had the mask and where it came from."
No deleted scenes were included on the home editions of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but fans have tried to squeeze more out of Nolan’s trilogy.
They ate it up when a line from The Dark Knight Rises novelization teased the fate of the Joker. The author wrote of Black Gate Prison: "The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham's sole remaining inmate."
And last month, an apparently unused page from The Dark Knight Rises script emerged online, showing dialogue between Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) and Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman).
Nolan's (apparently) less sympathetic Bane hasn’t slowed the film down any. The Batman finale has become the No. 2 movie of the year, with a $732 million box office haul through last weekend.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Anne Hathaway Does Tai Chi with Robert De Niro Again!
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak