'Dark Knight Rises' Extra Died During New York Shoot
After skirting rumors of an on-set death in November, Warner Bros. and the Screen Actors Guild confirm an unidentified male died during production.
The epic Dark Knight Rises brawl scenes filmed in New York City in November did not go off without a hitch.
One unidentified male extra reportedly suffered a heart attack during rehearsals and died. Both Warner Bros. and the Screen Actors Guild confirm an extra passed away, as first reported by the New York Post.
No principal cast or filmmaker was present when the actor, not working under a SAG contract, reportedly wandered off during a break to be later discovered unconscious.
He was taken to a hospital but couldn't be revived.
“The studio can confirm that a male extra passed away while on a break during an off-set crowd rehearsal for a sequence with several hundred extras... in early November," a Warner Bros. rep told The Post. "Production fully cooperated with the authorities’ investigation, which established that he died of natural causes."
The scene he was reportedly rehearsing, a huge fight that takes place between Arkham Asylum escapees led by Tom Hardy's Bane and the Gotham City police force, was caught by amateur filmmakers during the Wall Street shoot.
The extra joins an unfortunate rash of on-set deaths that have plagued big productions as of late. In October, a stuntman died on the set of Expendables 2, and in November, a crew member died on the New Orleans set of the G.I. Joe sequel.
An eight-minute prologue of The Dark Knight Rises will air before IMAX screenings of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol on Dec. 16. The film opens July 20, 2012.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel