Darren Aronofsky Will Not Direct 'Red Sparrow' (Exclusive)
Chernin Entertainment and Film Rites are producing the adaptation of the Jason Matthews spy-vs-spy novel, but the "Black Swan" director will no longer be at the helm.
Darren Aronofsky will not direct Red Sparrow, 20th Century Fox's adaptation of the spy thriller by Jason Matthews being produced by Chernin Entertainment and Film Rites.
Aronofsky had been in negotiations to helm the project since the fall but is now moving on, according to sources. The filmmaker, who is prepping his biblical tale Noah for a March release for Paramount, is now scouting for his follow-up to develop.
Fox is still high on the project, which it picked up in a seven-figure deal in April 2013 for Steve Zaillian and Garrett Basch of Film Rites and Peter Chernin of Chernin to produce.
The project is in development and does not have a script, so the studio will now focus on hiring a scribe. There is also a chance it could reapproach Aronofsky down the line.
The story centers on a Russian spy seductress and a young CIA agent who deals with Russian moles. The two play a cat-mouse game that has global implications, with the action moving from Russia, across Europe to the U.S.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!