DC to Relaunch 'Batgirl' Comic Book Series With New Creative Team
A brand-new creative team promises "fun, adventure and mystery" are in the future for Batman's crime-fighting companion.
DC’s long-standing character Batgirl is about to get a massive overhaul, with a brand-new creative team taking over the series this fall to give it a new look and a new tone — described as Veronica Mars meets HBO’s Girls meets the BBC’s Sherlock.
Announced Thursday, the new team, consisting of Cameron Stewart, Brendan Fletcher, Babs Tarr and Jordie Bellaire, will be handling the life of Barbara Gordon, with Stewart (who will be co-writing with Fletcher and providing layouts for Tarr to create artwork) telling MTV that the team “really wanted to make this a book with a light tone, of fun and adventure and mystery.”
According to Fletcher, who also is co-writing Gotham Academy for DC with Becky Cloonan, the creators “want to see a Batgirl who can stand on her own, independent of Batman and Commissioner Gordon,” adding: “It’s time that Babs be allowed a little fun in her life! We intend to let her have all the fun she wants.” Tarr, a newcomer to comics, said that she intends to bring “some flirt, fu, and fashion to the title! I don’t think you see a lot of that in mainstream comics and I am excited to bring that to the table.”
The new-look Barbara Gordon will debut in Batgirl No. 35, released in comic book stores and digitally this October.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Bachelorette' Runner Up Confronts Andi Dorfman About Their Intimate Night & It Got Awkward
- Hawaii Five-0's Scott Caan & Girlfriend Kacy Byxbee Welcome Baby Girl Josie!
- Ariana Grande Reveals She's Fallen Out of Touch With her Father in 'Seventeen'
- Kellan Lutz Gets Cozy With Mystery Brunette at Dave & Buster's