DC's New 'Beware the Batman' Titles Leak Early (Video)
The opening clips evoke 1960s spy movies in both music and visuals.
Just over a week ahead of the show's premiere, the opening titles for DC Entertainment's new Beware the Batman animated series have leaked online, giving fans the chance to see more of a new -- and now, apparently very red -- take on Gotham City and its most famous inhabitant.
Putting aside the genuinely odd theme music -- it starts somewhat grungy, takes a turn toward the surprisingly jaunty jangle and then ends up with a Shirley Bassey-esque "Beware the Bat!" -- these are some interesting titles; it obviously follows in the tradition of DCE's last CGI-animated series, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, but there's something more stylized about what's on show here.
It's not just the limited color palette, as striking as it may be. (Although, shouldn't the predominant color be blue, instead of red? Since when did anyone think "red" in connection with Batman?). There's a touch of retro simplicity to the character design in each of the brief glimpses we get for Batman, Alfred and Katana here that echo the Bruce Timm character designs from the much-loved 1990s Batman: The Animated Series, and the heavy use of chiaroscuro lighting differs from the more basic set-up of Green Lantern.
It's definitely good-looking stuff and arguably more exciting than the official sizzle reel released by Warner Bros. last month, which suffered from some of the same "Oh, look, everything looks distractingly plastic" problem as Green Lantern.
Beware The Batman debuts as part of Cartoon Network's DC Nation programming block on July 13.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- David Lynch Thinks No One Will Ever Agree on What Eraserhead Is About
- Report: 7 More Actresses Are Being Considered for True Detective Lead
- My Father Was James Brown. I Watched Him Beat My Mother. And Then I Found Myself With Someone Like Dad.
- Abbi and Ilana Talk Cereal in This World Premiere of Their Web Series Hack Into Broad City
- Geoff Stults & Colin Egglesfield Go Shirtless at Nautica Triathlon!
- Lady Gaga Celebrates The Late Paul Horn with 'Nature Boy' Tony Bennett Duet - Listen Now!
- Kristen Bell & Husband Dax Shephard Look Perfect Together at 'This Is Where I Leave You' Premiere
- Rihanna Slams CBS For Pulling Her Song From Thursday Night Football Intro