Is 'Deadgirl 2' Alive?
Could a sequel to the controversial horror thriller ever get made?
Could a sequel to the controversial horror thriller Deadgirl ever get made?
The film -- about two teenagers who discover a zombified naked girl in the bowels of an abandoned mental institution and lose their moral compasses in the process -- first screened at the Toronto film festival in 2008. Marcel Sarmiento and Gadi Harel directed the grimy black script from Trent Haaga.
I just heard at SXSW that Haaga has written a screenplay for a sequel in response to the backlash from women who found the film misogynistic. This time? It's girls who find a naked guy. Presumably, they make different choices than the guys did in the same situation, but here's one instance where a sequel could actually help further define and illuminate the issues raised in the first film. Maybe it would give Deadgirl new dimension.
The likelihood of it being made is low, of course, but then maybe that's because it wasn't disturbing enough.
Tom Six is about to unleash the sequel to The Human Centipede (First Sequence), which plays out one of modern genre cinema's most wretched plot concepts. (Somehow, I've seen this film twice.) Unfathomably, Six promises to top it with The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence), which IFC Midnight will shove toward us later this year.
Perhaps Haaga should send his script to Six's agent.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million