'Despicable Me 2' Blimp Flies Over Los Angeles (Photo)
The 55 ft. by 165 ft. Despicablimp turned heads skyward as it promoted the Steve Carell animated movie.
Don't be alarmed, Los Angeles. This isn't part of a super-villain plot.
A blimp with a striking resemblance to a Despicable Me 2 baddie was spotted over Los Angeles Friday as part of its cross-country tour promoting the film. It came to L.A. the same day a press junket for the Steve Carell-toplined animated film was held in the city.
The Despicablimp is 55 feet high and 165 feet long and can hold eight passengers and a pilot. While it normally flies at an altitude of 1,000 feet, it can go as high as 10,000 feet to pass over a mountain range.
Despicablimp sightings lit up twitter Friday, with one woman tweeting that she ticked off people in traffic chasing the blimp around Beverly Hills, while another called it "the cutest thing."
The Despicablimp kicked off March 23 at the Kids' Choice Awards, where it was spotted flying over downtown L.A.
Interested in where you can see the Despicablimp? Track its flight path here.
Despicable Me 2, from Universal Pictures, is also voiced by Kristen Wiig and Russell Brand. It hits theaters July 3.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws