Digital Comics Platform ComiXology Bought by Amazon
Co-founder and CEO David Steinberger promises customers that the company will "retain its identity as an Amazon subsidiary."
Confirming rumors that have been circulating for weeks, digital comics distributor ComiXology has announced that it has been acquired by Amazon.com for an undisclosed amount.
In a letter to customers posted online, ComiXology co-founder and CEO David Steinberger wrote that the company “will retain its identity as an Amazon subsidiary and we’re not anywhere near done ‘taking comics further.’”
He went on, “We are confident that — with Amazon by our side, who shares our desire for innovation and a relentless focus on customers — we’ve only just begun.” Elsewhere in the letter, he compares Amazon’s Kindle to ComiXology in terms of “reinventing the reading experience,” and repeats ComiXology’s aim to make “every person on the planet a comics fan.”
In a statement, Amazon Vice President, Content Acquisition and Independent Publishing David Naggar said that his company has “long admired the passion ComiXology brings to changing the way we buy and read comics and graphic novels. We look forward to investing in the business, growing the team, and together, bringing comics and graphic novels to even more readers.”
According to the company’s official announcement, the acquisition is expected to close by the end of the second quarter of 2014.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum