Disney, Lucasfilm Launch 'Star Wars Journeys' App Series
"The Phantom Menace" launches a series that turns "Star Wars" movies into interactive digital books with playable elements.
The Force can now be with younger audiences who have never seen the original Star Wars movies.
Lucasfilm and Disney Publishing Worldwide have teamed up to launch Star Wars Journeys, a series of apps targeted at ages 6-8 that mix immersive storytelling with gameplay, activities and background information about the characters and concepts within the story, designed to bring the Star Wars saga to life for a new generation of fans.
“The Star Wars film franchise has continuously excited and engaged audiences of all ages for more than 30 years," said Disney Publishing Worldwide evp Andrew Sugerman in a statement accompanying the official announcement of the line. "We are thrilled to help introduce the Star Wars universe to the next generation of fans, and provide those already familiar with the power of the Force new ways to connect with this legendary franchise.”
The line launches with The Phantom Menace, with apps planned for each of the remaining five movies to be rolled out in upcoming months. As part of the Phantom Menace app, readers will be able to participate in pod races “across four different galaxies,” according to Disney, with each race offering rewards that will unlock further pieces of the overall story (Future Journeys will feature different, story-specific, playable content).
Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace is now available for iOS in the Apple Store.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences