Disney Moves Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Release Date
The superhero movie now will face off against Warner Bros.' Peter Pan movie.
Disney/Marvel has moved the opening date of Ant-Man to July 17, 2015.
The date previously was the domain of Warner Bros.’ untitled Batman-Superman movie, but last week Warners moved the tentpole to May 6, 2016, the same date claimed by Disney for an unnamed Marvel movie.
Ant-Man previously was set to open July 31, 2015, and, with the move to two weeks earlier, it now will face off against Warners’ big-budget Peter Pan origin movie titled Pan. That movie is being directed by Joe Wright and will star Hugh Jackman. Garrett Hedlund received an offer Wednesday to also star in the movie.
Warners long has made the most of the mid-July berth, releasing such movies as Inception, The Dark Knight and a few of the Harry Potter films then, among others. The dates are seen as prime moviegoing territory and give films a few weeks of space before a traditional slowdown in August.
Paramount released Marvel's Captain America: First Avenger on July 22, 2011, and the film debuted to a strong $65 million.
Edgar Wright is directing Ant-Man, which is in full-on casting mode. The movie will star Paul Rudd as the hero; Michael Douglas as Dr. Hank Pym, inventor of the shrinking technology; and Michael Pena in an undisclosed role.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Andrew Garfield Touches Down in Venice After Emma Stone
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale