Disney Moves Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Release Date
The superhero movie now will face off against Warner Bros.' Peter Pan movie.
Disney/Marvel has moved the opening date of Ant-Man to July 17, 2015.
The date previously was the domain of Warner Bros.’ untitled Batman-Superman movie, but last week Warners moved the tentpole to May 6, 2016, the same date claimed by Disney for an unnamed Marvel movie.
Ant-Man previously was set to open July 31, 2015, and, with the move to two weeks earlier, it now will face off against Warners’ big-budget Peter Pan origin movie titled Pan. That movie is being directed by Joe Wright and will star Hugh Jackman. Garrett Hedlund received an offer Wednesday to also star in the movie.
Warners long has made the most of the mid-July berth, releasing such movies as Inception, The Dark Knight and a few of the Harry Potter films then, among others. The dates are seen as prime moviegoing territory and give films a few weeks of space before a traditional slowdown in August.
Paramount released Marvel's Captain America: First Avenger on July 22, 2011, and the film debuted to a strong $65 million.
Edgar Wright is directing Ant-Man, which is in full-on casting mode. The movie will star Paul Rudd as the hero; Michael Douglas as Dr. Hank Pym, inventor of the shrinking technology; and Michael Pena in an undisclosed role.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Anne Hathaway Does Tai Chi with Robert De Niro Again!
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak