Disney Sets Theatrical Release Date for 'Planes'
The animated movie, inspired by the world of "Cars," initially was slated for a direct-to-home entertainment release.
Disney has set an Aug. 9, 2013, theatrical release for Planes, an animated feature that is “inspired by” the world of Pixar’s Cars but is not made by the animated division.
Hailing from DisneyToon Studios, Planes originally was planned for a direct-to-home entertainment release when it was announced several years ago. The movie does for the world of airplanes what Cars did for the world of automobiles and even takes cues from the designs (eyes are the cockpit windows, for example).
Jon Cryer initially was announced as the lead voice star but is no longer involved. Disney is now looking for a new actor.
Altthough it might not have the Pixar stamp, it does have the oversight of Pixar’s John Lasseter, who oversees Disney Toon as well as Walt Disney Animation, the division behind such features as Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph.
This is not the first time Disney is bumping up an animated movie to a theatrical level. Toy Story 2 initially was planned for direct-to-video release during the late 1990s, but those plans were revised when execs saw early reels. (Planes already was scheduled to hit theaters internationally.)
The late addition of Planes to the studio’s release calendar brings the number of movies it will open in 2013 to 10.
Follow Heat Vision
- Asylum Film Or Children's Book With Tara Reid And Ian Ziering, Stars of 'Sharknado 2'
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Explains How Batman Is Like Pussy Riot
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- Justin Bieber Shares Photo of Orlando Bloom's Ex-Wife Miranda Kerr After Fight Video Surfaces
- Charlie Hunnam Makes Up For Missing Comic-Con in Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Hides Baby Bump in Black Dress at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Screening
- Elizabeth Banks: 'I'm Very Genetically Blessed, I Cannot Deny It'