Disney Sets Theatrical Release Date for 'Planes'
The animated movie, inspired by the world of "Cars," initially was slated for a direct-to-home entertainment release.
Disney has set an Aug. 9, 2013, theatrical release for Planes, an animated feature that is “inspired by” the world of Pixar’s Cars but is not made by the animated division.
Hailing from DisneyToon Studios, Planes originally was planned for a direct-to-home entertainment release when it was announced several years ago. The movie does for the world of airplanes what Cars did for the world of automobiles and even takes cues from the designs (eyes are the cockpit windows, for example).
Jon Cryer initially was announced as the lead voice star but is no longer involved. Disney is now looking for a new actor.
Altthough it might not have the Pixar stamp, it does have the oversight of Pixar’s John Lasseter, who oversees Disney Toon as well as Walt Disney Animation, the division behind such features as Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph.
This is not the first time Disney is bumping up an animated movie to a theatrical level. Toy Story 2 initially was planned for direct-to-video release during the late 1990s, but those plans were revised when execs saw early reels. (Planes already was scheduled to hit theaters internationally.)
The late addition of Planes to the studio’s release calendar brings the number of movies it will open in 2013 to 10.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)