Disney's Sam Raimi Directed 'Oz' Begins Filming in Michigan
Oscar-nominated James Franco, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis lead the cast of the film reboot.
There's no place like Michigan.
The Sam Raimi directed Wizard of Oz reboot began filming on Monday, July 25th at the brand-new Raleigh Studios in Pontiac, Michigan. Oz The Great and Powerful is set for a March 8, 2013 release.
James Franco stars in the Disney flick as the title character from L. Frank Baum’s beloved story. As a Kansas circus musician with questionable ethics, Oscar Diggs (Franco) somehow finds himself in the magical Land of Oz. Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play a trio of witches who question whether or not this new stranger is really the great wizard they’ve been hoping for.
Zach Braff joins the cast as Diggs’ circus assistant, in addition to lending his voice to a CGI created winged monkey named Finley, who will accompany the future wizard on his journey to Oz. Ramona and Beezus star Joey King will also voice a CGI character.
The production will take place in its entirety in the 200,000 square foot sound stage at Raleigh Michigan Studios. Joe Roth, Grant Curtis, Philip Seuer and Palak Patel are producing.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum