Disney's Sam Raimi Directed 'Oz' Begins Filming in Michigan
Oscar-nominated James Franco, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis lead the cast of the film reboot.
There's no place like Michigan.
The Sam Raimi directed Wizard of Oz reboot began filming on Monday, July 25th at the brand-new Raleigh Studios in Pontiac, Michigan. Oz The Great and Powerful is set for a March 8, 2013 release.
James Franco stars in the Disney flick as the title character from L. Frank Baum’s beloved story. As a Kansas circus musician with questionable ethics, Oscar Diggs (Franco) somehow finds himself in the magical Land of Oz. Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play a trio of witches who question whether or not this new stranger is really the great wizard they’ve been hoping for.
Zach Braff joins the cast as Diggs’ circus assistant, in addition to lending his voice to a CGI created winged monkey named Finley, who will accompany the future wizard on his journey to Oz. Ramona and Beezus star Joey King will also voice a CGI character.
The production will take place in its entirety in the 200,000 square foot sound stage at Raleigh Michigan Studios. Joe Roth, Grant Curtis, Philip Seuer and Palak Patel are producing.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)