Drew Pearce Talks About His Unproduced Marvel Screenplays
The "Iron Man 3" and "All Hail the King" screenwriter reveals some of the Marvel projects he's worked on that didn't end up getting produced.
All Hail the King, the Marvel One-Shot short that appears on the Thor: The Dark World DVD and Blu-ray, may mark Iron Man 3 screenwriter Drew Pearce's directorial debut on a Marvel Studios project, but it could have gone so differently.
"I'd been trying to direct and write a One-Shot for Marvel since Runaways was picked up," Pearce told Total Film magazine. "The One-Shot program comes in and out of existence at points, and you have to will the shorts to happen … I'd written a few different characters across a few One-Shots, and so when Sir Ben [Kingsley] said he'd do this one, oddly enough that tipped this over the line -- that one of the greatest actors of his generation was agreeing to do what is essentially my ridiculous student film."
Pearce talked about some of the One-Shots he's written that haven't ended up in production. "One was Sin and Crossbones [the latter character will appear in Captain America: The Winter Soldier]," he revealed. "I love Jessica Jones, and while obviously Jessica Jones and Alias is now going to exist in the Netflix part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I'd always obsessively been trying to put her in stuff I'd been working with Marvel on … but about three or four other ones, too."
He also named his great Marvel white whale: "My Marvel obsession with Damage Control [a comedy series about the company tasked with cleaning up after large-scale superhero battles] is still there, but it's pretty difficult to make into a short," he said. "The clue is in the title that you have to do a lot of damage to then control it -- and that's not really in the budget of a short movie. I just think it's got huge potential as a franchise."
Psst, Marvel: Given the success of Iron Man 3 and Pearce's apparent luck in focusing on properties that end up in development or used elsewhere on the Marvel Studios slate, maybe you should think about a Damage Control movie after all…
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!