Dwayne Johnson Hints About His DC Superhero Secret Identity
Refusing to name names, The Rock explains what three qualities his DC Entertainment character needed to have in order for him to play the role.
Wondering just which DC Entertainment character Dwayne Johnson will be playing as part of his teased deal with Warner Bros.? The onetime Rock isn’t saying just yet, but that doesn’t mean that he’s not offering up a couple of cans of beans just ready to be spilled.
“The first quality we were looking for was that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on. What that does for me as an actor and the studio is it gives us space that we can explore his complexities,” Johnson explained during a promotional appearance for Hercules at CinemaCon on Monday.
“The other quality was that he had to -- the character we were looking for had to be well-known but never brought to life,” he went on to add. “What that does again as an actor, it gives me a little bit of space, and we talked about personality. It just gives me a chance to put an imprint into his personality, with the set of tools that I could bring to the table and put a very unique twist on his personality, but still pay homage to who he is.”
Never brought to life? Well, that would appear to knock out rumors that Johnson would be playing Shazam, who’s previously appeared in live-action form in the 1970s TV series of the same name that ran on CBS Saturday mornings. Then again, so does Johnson’s telling journalists that his character “had to be a badass motherf---er” and “on a Superman level of power.” Shazam may be the latter, but he’s never been the former.
Signs still point to Johnson playing Green Lantern John Stewart, who has the power thing going on, the recognition factor thanks to the Cartoon Network Justice League animated series and yet has never appeared in live-action form. Plus, of course, there were those Instagram and Twitter teases from February. Clearly, someone needs to ask him if his character would be useful in both the blackest night and the brightest day.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!