Dwayne Johnson to Star in Earthquake Disaster Movie 'San Andreas' (Exclusive)
Dwayne Johnson has closed a deal to star in San Andreas, New Line’s earthquake disaster movie.
Brad Peyton, who directed Johnson in Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, is helming the project, which is being produced by Beau Flynn of the Flynn Picture Co. as well as Tripp Vinson.
With Johnson officially on board, New Line is planning for an April 2014 start and targeting a release date in 2015.
The script is set after a devastating earthquake hits California and centers on a rugged rescue-helicopter pilot (Johnson) making a perilous trip across the state to rescue his estranged daughter.
Andre Fabrizio and Jeremy Passmore wrote the initial draft, with Chad and Carey Hayes working on the most current draft. The project is based on an idea by Flynn.
New Line is aiming to out-Roland Emmerich Roland Emmerich with this project, envisioned as epic in scope.
Sam Brown and Michael Disco are overseeing for New Line.
Johnson is coming off a banner year in which his appearances in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Fast & Furious 6 and Pain & Gain generated more than $1.1 billion at the global box office.
He is currently filming Fast & Furious 7 after recently completing the shoot for Hercules: The Thracian Wars, directed by Brett Ratner.
Johnson is repped by WME, The Garcia Companies and Gang Tyre.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR