'After Earth' Trailer: Will and Jaden Smith Go on the Ultimate Father-Son Bonding Trip (Video)
M. Night Shyamalan's latest film pits the Smiths against a hostile Earth.
The latest trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s sci-fi summer thriller is centered on a contentious onscreen father-son relationship brought to life by the real father-son acting team Jaden and Will Smith.
After Earth is set in the future when mankind inhabits a new planet, Nova Prime, which was established after a series of cataclysmic events forced the evacuation of Earth.
The older Smith plays General Cypher Raige, a stern leader within the ranks of the Rangers, a task force similar to the Navy Seals. A computerized voice-over in the beginning of the trailer informs us that Kitai Raige, Cypher’s son, is denied entrance into the Rangers because he confuses "courage with recklessness," consequently disappointing his militaristic father.
Cypher and Raige head off into space for an ill-fated attempt at familial bonding that ends in their ship crash-landing on Earth. One thousand years after humanity’s departure, the planet has transformed into a hostile environment filled with fierce creatures and with an erratic climate not conducive to habitation.
Father and son must work together to traverse the life-threatening landscape to retrieve an emergency homing beacon, which will allow them to call for help. But given that this is a Shyamalan production, the movie is assured to have a monumental twist that changes the initial trajectory of the two protagonists.
After Earth hits theaters on June 7.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Patrick Dempsey Won't Give Up a Racing Season Unless He Finds an Acting Role That's Worthwhile
- Nicole Richie Hits Disneyland with Jennifer Meyer After 'Candidly Nicole' Premieres!
- Ellen Page Named PETA's Sexiest Female Vegetarian
- Britney Spears' Unedited 'Alien' Was Vocal Warm-Up Session, Producer Says