Comic-Con: Edgar Wright, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg Talk 'World's End'
The British filmmakers revealed the frozen treat -- and similar themes -- that bind their three films together.
It was a British geek invasion of Hall H as Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost, the men behind The World’s End, entertained a packed house. World’s End is the third movie from director Wright and his two actor cohorts, part of what is has become known as the Corneto Trilogy.
And on Friday the trio revealed the secret behind the trilogy's name: Ice cream.
Cornetto is a British ice cream cone that the trio included in their first feature, Shaun of the Dead. “And we got free ice cream at the premiere,” said Wright. “So we thought, ‘Why don't we write it into the 2nd film?’” So they added it to Hot Fuzz, and yes, it appears in their latest movie, which stars off as a reunion comedy and morphs into an alien invasion tale.
The films do share common themes: They're all set in the UK, and each tackles friendship and growing up.
“You’ll see themes we’ve dealt with since Spaced (the acclaimed TV series the friends created before movies took their focus)” said Wright, highlighting perpetual adolescence. “We wanted to wrap some things up."
Wright praised the fan power of Comic-Con, which they first attended in 2004, for giving them the conviction to continue their irreverent, over-the-top style of moviemaking.
“It encouraged us to keep it British,” he said. “Other films put in American stars to increase its international appeal.” With their films, however, the gang have been able to make it the way they want.
One fan asked if the trio planned a trailer that didn't reveal the alien aspect of the movie; Pegg replied that “films need marketing. And that requires you to give things away.” But Pegg did admit he'd prefer that people see and hear as little as possible about any film.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive