Ethan Hawke, Jason Blum on Their 'Clockwork Orange'-Like Thriller 'The Purge' (Video)
The star and the creator of "Paranormal Activity" discuss making genre pictures, violence in films and if "The Purge" could actually come to be.
The Purge is already off to a lively start at the box office this weekend, having scared up $3.4 million Thursday night. And on a weekend when the other big release is buddy comedy The Internship, starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, this early take just goes to show the appeal of horror/thriller genre films for oft scare-starved movie fans.
In The Hollywood Reporter's interview with Ethan Hawke and Jason Blum, they reveal that they've actually known each other for more than 20 years — first working at a theater company together and most recently, teaming up on two motion pictures: Sinister and, of course, The Purge.
"The Purge has a lot of crazy socio-political ideas underneath it, it's kind of charged with almost a Clockwork Orange-like weirdness," Hawke says of their latest collaboration. "I think there's a fun idea to play with which people, when they get out of the movie, they talk about a lot, which is cool," adds Blum.
The film touches on multiple societal and political issues of today, and Hawke addresses the question of this "event's" plausibility come the relatively near future (the film takes place in 2022), citing the consistently predictive literary works of George Orwell (1984) and Aldous Huxly (Brave New World).
"This movie is a strange entity. It's an extremely ultra violent film that ultimately advocates a non-violence position, which is kind of a catch-22."
Follow Heat Vision
- T-Pain on What Happened to His Aaliyah Collaboration, Furious 7, and FKA Twigs' Engagement to Robert Pattinson [Updated]
- Patricia Arquette Will Follow Up Her Oscar Win With a Memoir
- Pete Holmes on How the Comedian Became the Modern-Day Philosopher
- Ed Sheeran Fits Right in With the Cast of Sesame Street
- You Can Own a 'Magic Mike XXL' T-Shirt with Channing Tatum's Shirtless Torso On the Front!
- Kelly Clarkson Makes Epic Return to 'American Idol,' Sings 'At Last' & 'Heartbeat Song' - Watch Now!
- George Clooney & Sacha Baron Cohen Hug It Out After Dinner
- Zayn Malik & Perrie Edwards Look Too Cute Together in New Pic