Ethan Hawke Starring in Low-Budget Sci-Fi Thriller 'Vigilandia'
The actor reteams with Blumhouse productions for the film.
Ethan Hawke will star in Vigilandia, a futuristic thriller that Blumhouse Productions, Platinum Dunes and Why Not Productions are making for Universal.
James DeMonaco wrote the script and is directing the low-budget movie, which is to begin production Feb. 13.
The logline is being kept under lock and key (for now, anyway).
Vigilandia is the first movie to be made under Blumhouse’s first-look deal with the Universal, signed last summer. The shingle, run by Jason Blum, made its name in the horror field with the low-budget Paranormal Activity series as well as Insidious, one of the most profitable movies of 2011.
Blum is producing with Platinum Dunes’ Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, who have produced remakes of The Amityville Horror and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, among others. Sebastien Lemercier exec produces.
Vigilandia is a reunion for Hawke and Blum; the former is starring in Sinister, a Blumhouse-produced thriller being released by Summit this year.
DeMonaco wrote The Negotiator as well as the remake of Assault on Precinct 13. Hawke starred in the latter and starred in DeMonaco’s feature directorial debut Little New York (aka Staten Island, New York).
Hawke is repped by CAA while DeMonaco by UTA.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum