Everything You Know About 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Is Wrong
As the movie's Peter Weller explains, it's possible that you were looking at what happened in this summer's installment of the long-running sci-fi movie franchise in the wrong way.
The true hero of Star Trek Into Darkness? If you ask Peter Weller, he'll tell you that the answer is his character, Alexander Marcus -- whom, to most people, may have seemed like one of the movie's villains. That's because, he argues, those people weren't actually paying attention to the movie itself.
"Everything Marcus says in the film is true, which people forget," Weller told The Onion's AV Club when talking about the movie. "People go, 'Bad guy! Bad guy!' But why is he a bad guy? Everything he says is true: The Klingons are coming, they do need Khan, and that’s that. It's just that he's going to sacrifice the entire Enterprise to get the job done, because the Enterprise started to believe Khan. But if the Enterprise had not believed Khan and had done what Marcus said, then there'd be no movie, and everything would be cool."
So who, then, are the bad guys if Marcus was right? "The Enterprise wakes the dude up and listens to his game, and then everything goes to crap," Weller explained. "But that's the Enterprise's hubris. That's them. They screwed up, not Marcus." Clearly, someone needs to start a new web series where Peter Weller explains how every single episode of Star Trek is all Captain Kirk's fault. Star Trek Into Revisionism, anyone?
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Winnie and Kevin Probably Slept Together and 11 Other Things We Learned at Last Night’s Wonder Years Reunion
- How Much Do You Know About American Horror Story? Take Our SAT Exam
- Garage Doors and Tanning Beds: 9 Actors Remember Their Famous Horror-Movie Deaths
- It’s Just a Normal Tuesday With Drake and ILoveMakonnen
- 'Ouija' Movie Stars Attend Spooky Seance with Their Celeb Pals (Exclusive Video!)
- Justin Timberlake & Jessica Biel Settle Lawsuit Against Tabloid Publishing False Stories
- Renee Zellweger Brings Her Boyfriend Doyle Bramhall II to Elle Women in Hollywood Event!
- Nikki Reed & Emmy Rossum Stun at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration